Seems there's never an end with these PDP-11/70 panels!
End of 2018 several people asked for BlinkenBone to connect own 11/70 panels. As wiring from the 3 flatcables to the BlinkenBoard I/Os is very tedious, I finally designed an "add-on" adapter for 11/70 panels.
This adapter board is just plugged onto the BlinkenBoard, and receives the original DEC cables. No changes on the panel itself must be done.
So a fully blinkenbonized PDP-11/70 panel setup consists of a stack of these components:
- the 11/70 panel, with 3 flat cables and some power cables
- the new 11/70 adapter
- the BlinkenBoard for I/O conversion.
- the BlinkenCape with 4 UARTs as interface to the BeagleBone
- a BeagleBone Black with Linux Debian SDcard, containing the BlinkenBone simulation software. On the BBB a trace must be cut.
- an ATX power supply, best use the small ITX form factor. Power can be switched over the panel key switch then.
- Data cables are 40 pin with crimp connectors, power cables use FASTON terminals.
Connecting a PDP-11/70 panel to BlinkenBone is now really PLUG'N'PLAY.
BlinkenBone software for the PDP-11/70 is also used on the PiDP11 project, so you can benefit from the growing community activities there.
Wanna have one? There are several complete BlinkenCape+Board+Adapter combos laying around here. With programmed SDcard, they are €250 without BeagleBone ... this 3-piece setup is flexible engineering, but economical a hard-sell. Contact me here or